Friday 10 October 2014

Bird Box by Josh Malerman



*** Rated 3 Stars ***


Imagine a world where you need to keep your eyes closed. Or you might see something that will drive you crazy and you will kill those around you and then yourself. So you have to keep your windows covered, and every time you leave the house you have to wear a blindfold to make sure you will never look. Because there is something out there, something that shouldn't be seen...

I love the idea behind this book. For me the idea of having to go out into a world that is filled with creatures(?), but you have to go blindfolded or you will go mad... Knowing that they might be right next to you, and you wouldn't even know... It would be very, very freaky. So the book definitely gets points for originality. And some of the scenes described are tense and scary, making you want to keep reading to see what will happen. 

So why only 3 stars?

For me the jumping backwards and forward in time was just... too much. I don't mind getting some background story on what has happened in the past, but here it pretty much jumps for every chapter and it was just a bit too much for me. I do understand this is a way to build tension, but as I kept reading it was starting to get slightly annoying.

I also didn't like that some of the choices that were made by the characters were just... stupid and annoying. I know that people can make stupid decisions when they are under pressure, but... I still found it annoying.

And lastly: the ending. Obviously I'm not going to say a lot about it, as I don't want to ruin it for you if you want to read it yourself! But... I did not like it. There are so many other ways that the book could have ended that would have made it so much better in my opinion.

All in all a good read, and I would recommend if you're a lover of horror :)

No comments:

Post a Comment